Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Girl's High/Low skirt

Simplicity Suede Says #1675
Size 10
View C

What a great little pattern!  This is exactly what my girls and I are seeing in the stores, and of course, why buy when you can make it!

I did not make the waistband casing according to the pattern instructions.  Instead, I sewed my elastic directly to the top of the skirt edge with my serger, then flipped down, and zig zagged with my sewing machine.  There is plenty of length to the skirt to do this.  It is so much quicker that way and provides a nicer RTW look.  I also lined this skirt with single knit black jersey and sewed the skirt fabric with French seams.



It is too far away to see that there are little moons and stars on this fabric.  I have a new sewing machine, a Pfaff Performance 5.0, but I don't have a narrow edge hem foot yet, so I had to do this manually--argh.  Not fun!  I have a hem foot on order, so I will wait to get it before making any more skirts like this.  My daughter has already put in a request for more.


Worn with black jersey knit camisole that I drafted for her and a purchased denim jacket from H&M.
Skirt Fabric purchased from Denver Fabrics--Golden Beige Crepe de Chine $4.95 yard

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Your girls are so lucky to have you sewing for them, Shirley and how wonderful that they love your garments so much they request more. Enjoy your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I love my new machine, but I still am getting use to it. I ordered it locally and they forgot to get me a user manual in English, so I am trying to figure it out from the pictures in the German manual. LOL I should get a new manual soon.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new machine!!! It's like xmas in July :D
    The skirt looks great - just like RTW ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I can see why she loves it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!