Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer Love

Pink Fig 
Summer Love
Swimsuit Cover-up


Here is a really cute outfit by Pink Fig.  I bought this PDF pattern which comes in sizes 2T - 10Y.  The printable pattern pieces are for the shorts only and the other instructions will have you cut measurements for the bodice front/back, waistband, and straps.  The pattern includes a beach bag as well (also cute!).  I haven't made the bag yet, but I think I have enough fabric left over to make it match if I do.


The only sewing notion you need in addition to your fabric is 1/2" elastic.  The bodice requires 2 rows of elastic and the waistband requires 3 rows.  Since I was running low on elastic (I didn't check the instructions prior to sewing), I used one row of l" wide elastic for the waist instead.  If I had had enough elastic, I would have made 3 rows as per the pattern instructions.  It really gives it a nice look and effect, but I still achieved great results.  I had to use a really soft elastic since my daughter is sensitive to how fabrics feel and fit against the skin.  I bought some elastic from Sew Sassy, which I will purchase from again.  I have to look back and see what I bought, but it was so nice, great stretch and recovery, and very soft!  I tried some other elastic I had first, and it was so bulky and just felt rough.  I have never really given much thought to elastic, but if it is thick or rough feeling, you can feel that through the fabric.


The instructions for this are really easy!  Even if you are new to sewing, you could make this I believe.  However, it does say "intermediate" when you look on the website for the pattern.  My daughter loves it and my other daughter wants one as well.  The instructions are well written and well illustrated.  I think this is a great summer outfit whether you use it for a swimsuit cover up or on its own.  


If you look closely, you might be able to see that the bodice fabric is a bunch of little snails!

For my fabric, I used Riley Blake's Snug as a Bug by Melly & Me purchased here, which is an Etsy store; I highly recommend buying from her!  Great prices and customer service--I am so glad I found her store.

***

Monday, I threw together an outfit for myself!  


I purchased this plaid chiffon from Denver Fabrics and copied a RTW skirt that I bought last summer.  The tank top is from Old Navy and I added a gray jersey knit band to the bottom of it to tie in the colors of the skirt.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

3 comments:

  1. She looks so cute in her swim cover-up! I love the little snails especially :) Great tip on the elastic, I'll have to search out that soft stuff - all 3 of us are sensitive to it. (latex allergy).
    And your outfit rocks!! I love the breezy chiffon and high/low hem! (I'm kicking myself for not buying that fabric as it was once in my cart! hahaha). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too...put things in my cart, take them in and out, sometimes go to order and it isn't in there anymore--argh!! LOL It is how I plan out what I'm going to do. I am not happy with myself because I bought 3 yards of that chiffon and had issues deciding what I was going to do with it. It started as a very long skirt and then got chopped because I didn't like it. This was the 3rd and final version of the day. My kids thought I was crazy! LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh, and this was all that was left after 3 yards, which I could have got this out of 1 yard. I tried a Burda pattern that was basically a skirt attached to a tank top and it just didn't look right on me.

      Delete