Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Red, White & Blue


Who doesn't love red, white & blue?  These colors look amazing together, always.  

If you are looking for some awesome nautical or RWB knits, Girl Charlee has a great selection.


This outfit was a multiple pattern hack for me.  My daughter has been asking for a high/low tank top for several weeks.  For this outfit, I was able to use patterns from Ottobre Summer 3/2013.



#34 Movimiento tank top--altered hem for a high/low look.


I love the dots with the stripes!


#31 Ola de Calor sundress--traced from the waist down only for the skirt.  I also made a yoga-style waistband.


#33 Chica Ciclista leggings--added a hem band at the bottom to match the shirt fabric.  

For the first time, I sewed my elastic directly to the top of the leggings.  I cannot believe I waited so long to try this.  I made a loop of my elastic, divided it into 4 equal parts, matching these points to the waist of the leggings.  Wow, that was simple!  Then I turned the elastic down and used a zigzag on my sewing machine to secure it all the way around.


I used my coverstitch machine for all top stitching.


My daughter loves her Miche bag!  She likes me to cover it in a coordinating fabric to match her outfit.

I also want to mention that for the pocket on the tank top, I used a strip of woven interfacing on the seam allowances.  This made sewing the pocket to the knit so much easier.  I didn't have to worry about my seam stretching at all and was able to accomplish my top stitching very close to the edge.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Girl Charlee is having a sewing contest where you have to make something out of their RW&B fabric line, so lucky for me, I had this fabric already in my stash from when I made my dress! Whether I win or not, my daughter loves it, so I'm thrilled. The contest helped to inspire me to think of something new.

      Delete
  2. I love that tank top pattern - it is so nice to hack :D The red, white and blue go together so nicely and the tank is super cute. Seriously, she has some fashionable ideas!! I've also used that legging pattern but I love how you added the band to it (totally stealing that idea!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! The dot fabric wasn't as stretchy as the lycra cotton that I used for the leggings, so I made the band and then had my daughter slip it over her foot and pull it up as if it was attached to the legging to make sure it would fit without any problem and it did! I wanted to be sure before I sewed it on...I do the same with the yoga waistband for skirts. So much easier to check the fit before attaching it.

      Delete
  3. I love the dots and the stripes together, Shirley and the adorable band on the leggings ties the whole outfit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you! I decided to add that band to the leggings as an afterthought--to bring it all together! :) I am definitely going to be doing that from now on with my girls' outfits. I really like how it turned out that way.

      Delete

I love reading your comments!