Friday, June 13, 2014

Pencil Skirt with Renfrew Top



 I purchased this lovely navy blue hibiscus floral cotton jersey knit from Girl Charlee fabrics for $6.50 for 1 yard, which I still have a good sized remnant left over.   Here is the link to the skirt pattern I found-- Pencil Skirt Tutorial.  What brought me to this link is that I was in search of a skirt idea that wouldn't have too many seams, breaking up the flower print.  This is a fantastic tutorial, even with diagrams!  It is well worth your time to do this if this skirt interests you--it is really comfortable and made to fit your measurements.




 For my lining, I used white micro mesh from Fabric.com for $3.38 for 1 yard, also plenty left over for another sewing project.  I picked up the micro mesh on a whim.  I saw a RTW sleeveless knit top that had layers of a pretty light-weight fabric ruffled at the bottom and I thought maybe this fabric would work for that.  Instead, I used it to line my skirt.  I guess it could have worked without a lining, but I wanted to follow the tutorial completely.  I am so glad I did because this fabric makes an awesome lining!  I confess, when a pattern calls for lining, I am always drawing a blank on what to use and will avoid it if I can.



I like the yoga-style waistband.



Originally my plan was to make Butterick 5495 Top View A to go with this skirt.  I did, but I just don't like the fit on me.  For starters, I had to sew up the slit because it brought the neckline below my bra strap--yikes!  Why didn't I see that coming?  Also, I'm not liking how the sleeveless version looks on me.  It just kind of gaps open and you can see my bra from the underarm area--not a look I am going for ever.  I do believe it is the right size, because it fits me everywhere else.  The fabric I used is a very stretchy knit, stretching 2 ways.  I'll cut it up and make underwear out of it! Anyway, I pulled out my Renfrew top to wear with this skirt.  I guess I didn't really need another navy blue top since I have a couple other t-shirts in that color as well.  I was just trying to go for something different and this was a fail for me.  But oh how I love my new skirt!!




It looks nice on the body form but not on me!  I will keep this pattern to try this winter with long sleeves.  I think that may look better on me and I'll use a different type of fabric.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



10 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than a knit pencil skirt! I love the print. And lining with mesh is a great idea. I always wonder what to line knits with. I've used tricot before, but it was not my favorite. A lot of times I just use a lighter knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! Thanks for the tip on just using a lighter knit fabric; I didn't know I could do that! That is why I love to sew, there is always plenty more to learn to keep it fun and interesting!

      Delete
  2. I love my knit skirts! Your fabric is awesome!!! I haven tried the renfrow top yet. Some day.... The outfit is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! It was a little work drawing out the pattern, but I'm so glad I did it because it is the best and easiest fitting knit skirt I now own.

      Delete
  3. Love the skirt Shirley! Looks great on you and it must be so comfortable to wear. Something I would like for myself. Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanki! I love your blog; you are so crafty and talented! I am now on the lookout for some more bold prints for skirts like this.

      Delete
  4. Cute pencil skirt! I love that it has a built in lining. Too bad about the top - but at least you tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I'm definitely making more of these skirts. I have some fabric with love printed on it and I think that would be really cute.

      Delete
  5. Hello Shirley! How have you been?? Your skirt is perfect for summer! Nice job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! I doing great. Today I had my last visit to the cardiologist and all is well there. Just 2 more surgeries and I'll be finished!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!