Friday, January 10, 2014

Penny Pinafore


Kitschy Coo Penny Pinafore
made with Girl Charlee Fabrics


I love this dress!  It took me longer to assemble the PDF pattern and trace it than it did to sew it up!  The instructions for this pattern are so well written.  If you are new to sewing knits, you can definitely jump right in and learn how to do it with this pattern.  I especially like how well-fitting the neckband is.


I see some wrinkles at the back, so I guess that means I need to learn how to make a swayback adjustment.  I got Nancy Zieman's Pattern Fitting book for Christmas, and I feel confident I can do this now.  That will be my next sewing goal for myself to get this dress pattern to fit me better.  I will definitely be making this again and again!  I like that the pattern comes in tunic, mini, or knee length.  This is the mini length on me.



I had seen this pattern on other blogs, and everyone had such nice results with it.  The selling point for me though was the fact that I could also purchase the pattern in a size for my girls.  


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. cute! I wanted this pattern too. I picked up the lady skater dress, though - so I'll try that out first. Love the color choices - reminds me a bit of Joy's! (21wale). I can't believe that is the mini length on you Shirley, lol. You must be "not tall"?
    Glad you got the Nancy book! Have fun with it :) I love to just read through it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Lady Skater dress pattern too, but I haven't managed to sew it up because I keep forgetting to buy enough fabric for it! Yep, I'm 5'1 LOL These mini length patterns usually work out well for me to not have to lengthen, giving me the length that I am comfortable with.

      Delete
  2. I love this with the chevrons! It's very striking on you. The mini length is very cute, too - it can almost go either way as a dress or with leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I wanted to put this on with my leggings and can't find them! I have searched everywhere, even resorting to a spring cleaning of our bedroom yesterday with no luck! LOL Drives me crazy when I have to look for misplaced leggings for my girls and now here I am not finding mine LOL. How on earth do these things just disappear? I tell my girls, "they can't just disappear." Well, I am rethinking that!

      Delete
  3. Woo! Hot stuff! I love this style with the black on the sides. It's very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! I'm lovin this new pattern. Makes me want to buy more fabric....but what doesn't! LOL

      Delete
  4. Looking good, Shirley!!! Love the fabric combination. You must be sewing night and day with all the garments you are producing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I have been doing a lot of sewing and not everything makes it to my blog! LOL I am going to come up with some kind of log so I can track my projects and my fabric used--that is my project at the moment :)

      Delete
  5. Your dress looks great! the black panels at the side look really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I just ordered fabric to make this in the tunic length! Some friends have told me that they are seeing this style of dress in department stores as well but for a lot more money than it costs to sew it up!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!