Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Duffle Coat

Ottobre 6/2012
Klassikko Pattern #40
Size 152

I have been anxiously waiting for the buttons to come in to finish my son's coat!  They finally came in yesterday, and I put them on last night.  I actually finished his coat nearly 2 weeks ago!  I am so happy with the finished product.  I used a wool blend coating black/white for the shell and black China silk polyester for the lining, as well as black flannel.  It has shoulder yokes, patch pockets, zipper with wind flap, 3 toggle buttons, and an awesome British-style hood attached.





I love all the topstitching on this coat.


I purchased the toggle buttons where they were already put together as a set.  In Ottobre, the supplies are for buttons, as well as cotton cord to make your own.  I wanted the ends to look finished like the duffle coats in the store.  


If I make another coat like this again, I will definitely buy a better quality lining.  I went for the cheap stuff.  I sure hope it holds up.  For some reason one of the sleeve linings gave me difficulty easing it into the jacket, so I had to redo it a couple of times.  That caused the fabric to weaken in the cap sleeve.  I guess that would happen no matter what quality fabric, but I'm sure it didn't help any.  Flannel is used for the back yoke and the front area of the coat only.  Overall I was able to follow the instructions pretty well.  I got stuck at the point where you join the sleeve lining to the shell.  Oh my goodness!  I really was sweating it and was concerned that it would not come together ever at this point.  Once I had that lightbulb moment, I wrote down a note to myself so I would remember how to do it again.  Here it is in case it helps you if you have the same problem:

wrong side to wrong side and put the lining sleeve overlapping folded up hem of shell sleeve.  Sleeves are pulled out from inside of the shell and lining towards middle of coat when working on.  Sew with interfaced hem of shell on top


I took these last 2 photos before I sewed the buttons on.  Now that the buttons are on, you can see the stitching on the inside of the coat.  Ottobre instructions do have you put them on last, so I'm not sure if that can be done before lining so the stitches are hidden.  I guess it doesn't matter.

To sew the buttons on, I placed them on the coat where I wanted them to be and traced around them with white chalk.  I zigzagged stitched them on.  I tried a straight stitch first, but I didn't like how it looked.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

17 comments:

  1. Shirley that is outstanding!! I am super impressed. He must be one styling guy :D
    Your sewing skills shine through in this beautiful coat. I love the style. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! My son keeps telling me that he really likes his coat. This project really challenged my skill level and it was so much fun (until I got stuck) lol. I think now I'm ready to go back and tackle a dress jumper that I tried to make for my daughter once that was a huge fail. It was lined too and I got stuck at one place and never figured it out. I think after this coat that maybe I can make that dress now!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is outstanding! You continue to amaze me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I need to get that Nip Mode magazine (I think that is it) that you have sewn from. You have made some great stuff from it!

      Delete
  3. I love duffle coats and still have one that I wear in Winter. It looks just like your son's. No wonder your son loves it, Shirley!!! Awesome sewing skills!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I'm very proud of this project! It challenged me and taught me some new techniques. I have always wanted to know how to line a coat where it looked professional, and this is the pattern to learn to do that!

      Delete
    2. I've featured your duffle coat today, Shirley.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pam! It is really exciting to me when I get featured! I share it with all my friends and family. :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome job Shirley! It looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Means a lot coming from you...you have made some amazing coats this past year!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful coat! You did a great job with it.

    Noreen
    Crafty Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noreen! My son loves wearing it!

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful! I wish my boys would wear something like this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'm addicted to making coats now. I can see making wool coats for all my kids now every year! Ottobre has a nice one for girls too.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! It looks so classy and comfy - the winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenya! It is turning out to be the perfect coat for my son. It's warm enough outside in the cold temperatures, but not a heavy coat to have to wear either.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing them with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete