Klassikko Pattern #40
I have been anxiously waiting for the buttons to come in to finish my son's coat! They finally came in yesterday, and I put them on last night. I actually finished his coat nearly 2 weeks ago! I am so happy with the finished product. I used a wool blend coating black/white for the shell and black China silk polyester for the lining, as well as black flannel. It has shoulder yokes, patch pockets, zipper with wind flap, 3 toggle buttons, and an awesome British-style hood attached.
I love all the topstitching on this coat.
I purchased the toggle buttons where they were already put together as a set. In Ottobre, the supplies are for buttons, as well as cotton cord to make your own. I wanted the ends to look finished like the duffle coats in the store.
If I make another coat like this again, I will definitely buy a better quality lining. I went for the cheap stuff. I sure hope it holds up. For some reason one of the sleeve linings gave me difficulty easing it into the jacket, so I had to redo it a couple of times. That caused the fabric to weaken in the cap sleeve. I guess that would happen no matter what quality fabric, but I'm sure it didn't help any. Flannel is used for the back yoke and the front area of the coat only. Overall I was able to follow the instructions pretty well. I got stuck at the point where you join the sleeve lining to the shell. Oh my goodness! I really was sweating it and was concerned that it would not come together ever at this point. Once I had that lightbulb moment, I wrote down a note to myself so I would remember how to do it again. Here it is in case it helps you if you have the same problem:
wrong side to wrong side and put the lining sleeve overlapping folded up hem of shell sleeve. Sleeves are pulled out from inside of the shell and lining towards middle of coat when working on. Sew with interfaced hem of shell on top
I took these last 2 photos before I sewed the buttons on. Now that the buttons are on, you can see the stitching on the inside of the coat. Ottobre instructions do have you put them on last, so I'm not sure if that can be done before lining so the stitches are hidden. I guess it doesn't matter.
To sew the buttons on, I placed them on the coat where I wanted them to be and traced around them with white chalk. I zigzagged stitched them on. I tried a straight stitch first, but I didn't like how it looked.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley