Sunday, December 29, 2013

Recycle Shirts into Underwear!

Don't you love it when you have one of those light bulb moments!  So today I have been making underwear using Jalie 3242 (see my previous post...today).  Then I thought about the pile of  shirts that my daughter has outgrown; those soft comfy shirts that have been washed over and over and over.  Why not turn those into underwear?  You have to make sure though that whatever shirt you use, it has a good amount of stretch in BOTH directions, otherwise, your underwear is going to be too tight.

View A
Low-waist bikini


Below you'll see a pic of various shirts I pulled out to recycle, the bunny pj top being one of them.  That shirt was too small to use for a pair of underwear completely, so I cut out the applique and zigzagged it onto white fabric.  It was my daughter's idea to cut the bottom scalloped edge of the shirt off to use as a trim on top of the underwear--love that idea!  Even though the "hop bunny applique" was stretchy too, it did compromise a little of the stretch.  I'm still in the learning curve with these undies, but I'm enjoying experimenting.  I'm really focusing on budgeting costs with sewing, so I am continuing to look around through the piles of clothes that get tossed to the side once outgrown.  There has got to be other uses that I haven't thought of yet! LOL


I really want to experiment with little scrappy fabrics on undies that are small enough to not compromise stretch but make it fun to wear.


It feels so good to recycle and get more mileage out of clothing.

thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! Nice to see another Shirley :) I checked out your blog and you make some fantastic clothing! I'm a new follower now. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome idea! I tried undies but kind of gave up too soon. Maybe I should try again! I want to try a swim suit in 2014 too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, this Jalie pattern is awesome. I was shocked at how easy bikini undies were to sew. The boys briefs are pretty easy but take so much longer since the legs are hemmed. Good luck with a swimsuit! I saw a pattern that was really popular on the blogs earlier this year. I think I still need practice on making my girls swimsuits before one for me. It's so much easier when you aren't dealing with curves!

      Delete
  3. I failed at the only pair of undies I've ever made. I'm sure it was me and not the pattern. Like you I was making them from soft, pre-loved t-shirts, but even if they'd turned out, they wouldn't have been pretty like yours. Great idea of your daughter's to add the trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I think I was successful right out of the gate with undies because I just finished my son's wool coat that stretched my brain in so many directions trying to figure out what to do! LOL It makes me want to try a shirt again that I tried almost 2 years ago that I completely messed up. I couldn't get the instructions. I think I am ready now. That is why I love sewing. You can try something, fail, put it away, and then take it back out and the light bulb goes on. LOL

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine ever getting bored with sewing... so much to learn and so many light bulb moments. Featured today...

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pam! Never get bored with sewing--that's right! I get so excited with every new project I work on...I love it!

      Delete
  4. Great job Shirley! I love turning unfitting clothes into something new :D The bunny undies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I get where I want to buy new fabric but then I remember the HUGE box of clothes in the basement that no longer fit anymore. I need to focus my sewing more on what we need vs. what I just want to make.

      Delete
    2. I agree, I'm the same way :) Then I find myself with nothing decent to wear....

      Delete
  5. Very fun! I'm sure your kids will enjoy a second go-around of their favorite shirts. You're right about the stretch factor - I made that mistake one a pair for myself. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I have even made that mistake with cutting out a pair of jeans! I had the stretch going lengthwise and no stretch the other direction. I will never do that again! I had all sewn except the waistband.

      Delete

I love reading your comments!