Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Ottobre's Street Gear Bermuda Shorts

Here is a pair of shorts I made for my son.  This pattern is from the March 2012 edition of the Ottobre Magazine (Pattern #36).  I decided to make them out of ripstop fabric that I found online at Fabric.com.  I found the fabric to be a little thin, so I doubled up on it for the knee area.  I did not use any interfacing due to material type, which didn't seem to present a problem.  The pattern does call for a snap on the waistband; however, I just used a button instead.  I have not installed any snaps yet, so that is something I need to learn how to do in the near future.  I didn't want to learn with these shorts.


Wearing with his favorite Mythbusters t-shirt.... a perfect color match up.


With these being made of ripstop, they are extremely light weight.  


My first welt pocket!!  It was not difficult at all.  



I love the details on the knee area.  These are created by making tucks with bar tacks at the ends.


Pockets on the front.

Overall, I found this pattern to be fun and easy to make!  I made these in a size 140 and the fit is perfect!  Pattern sized from 128 to 170 cm.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


15 comments:

  1. Very cool! I like the knee details too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm so excited that these turned out so well. I'm thinking now I want to make all my kids' shorts for summer. :)

      Delete
  2. I've thought about this pattern a few times. Looks like a winner! These are awesome.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought about these a while too Suzie. I wasn't quite sure I could do them, but they were pretty simple after I got started. My son is so happy with them!

      Delete
  3. They look great. I have such a hard time finding things to sew for my boy. Ottobre always seems to have great stuff, but they don't sell it near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I buy my subscription directly from the Ottobre Design website. They ship all over the world, and you can order it in English on their site as well. You can also order them online from other suppliers, but it is more expensive I think. I too use to struggle with finding great patterns for my son until I found Ottobre! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Love all the little details, especially the tucks at the knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! We just walked in the door from a little weekend vacation, so this is such a nice surprise to get home to!

      Delete
  5. These are awesome! I love Ottobre! The patterns always fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirley.
    I'm thinking I may try these - you've inspired me. How did you find these for fit. Lucas is between sizes. Should I go up or down?
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzie, my son wears store bought size 140, and I made these in a 140. There is elastic only on the backside, so I did have to tighten that up a little after the fact, picking out the seam. I recommend not finishing the waist and having him try them on before you secure it. I did not topstitch the waistband on the back cause I had trouble catching the elastic in it which stretched it out a little. That is why I had to take it apart. His Hi Hat pants he does still have to wear with a belt cause the 140s are a little big on him with Ottobre, but you should be fine since these shorts have elastic. :)

      Delete